|E-Mail:||bichler at in.tum.de (S/MIME Certificate, RGB-CA)|
|Phone:||+49 (0) 89 289 - 17500|
|Fax:||+49 (0) 89 289 - 17535|
85748 Munich, Germany
Martin Bichler received his MSc degree from the Technical University of Vienna, and his Ph. D. as well as his Habilitation from the Vienna University of Economics and Business. He was working as a research fellow at UC Berkeley, and as research staff member at the IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York. Since 2003 he is full Professor at the Department of Informatics of the Technical University of Munich (TUM), and also a faculty member at the TUM School of Management. He was a visiting scholar at the University of Cambridge (2008), at HP Labs Palo Alto (2008), and at Yale University (2016). Martin is responsible for the Master's program in Information Systems at TUM and a faculty and board member of the Bavarian Elite Master program "Finance and Information Management". He is a fellow of the Agora Group on Market Design at the University of New South Wales, Australia.
Martin has contributed to different areas in computer science, operations research, and information systems. In particular he is interested in market design, optimization and resource allocation for cloud computing providers, econometrics, and data analysis. Martin has published in journals such as INFORMS ISR, Management Science, Production and Operations Management, IEEE TCC, IEEE TSC, EJOR, Experimental Economics, IEEE Computer, CACM, Computer Networks, Distributed and Parallel Databases, Decision Support Systems, ITM, and SIGMOD Records and is on the editorial board of a number or journals. He received an HP Labs eAward, the IBM Faculty Award, and the INFORMS ISS Design Science Award, and holds several patents. Since 2012 he is Editor-in-Chief of the journal Business and Information Systems Engineering.
In 2014 Martin was ranked 19 overall and 3rd in terms of A+ publications in the 5-year ranking of the Handelsblatt among 2346 scholars in Europe. He was ranked 14 in terms of A+ publications in the lifetime ranking.
He has been involved in the development of several software packages, which have been or are being used in industry practice. He has also been a consultant to policy makers and industry in different areas in the recent years:
- Game-theoretical consulting in spectrum auctions in several countries including Austria (2x), Canada (2x), the Czech Republic, and Germany (2x). Academic work has influenced decisions by the US Federal Communications Commission and by the Canadian regulator. He is co-editing the Handbook of Spectrum Auction Design with Cambridge University Press.
- Design of procurement auctions with industry partners such as Audi, BSH, E.On, Henkel, Lufthansa, Siemens, Telefonica and several others for direct and indirect materials. One of his projects won the Siemens SCM Olympics.
- Development of algorithms and tools for server consolidation and resource allocation in virtualized data centers with a European IT service provider. Implementation of control algorithms for virtualized data centers of a multi-national Asian IT service provider.
- Earlier contributions to open-source software projects such as the Prova rule engine or the Permoto performance modeling tool.
Selected Academic Activities
- EDITOR IN CHIEF, Business and Information Systems Engineering, Springer.
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, INFORMS Information Systems Research, (2017-2020).
- SENIOR PC MEMBER, ACM Conference on Economics and Computation 2016.
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, Group Decision and Negotiation, Springer.
- EDITORIAL BOARD, Review of Managerial Science, Springer.
- EDITORIAL BOARD, International Journal on Operational Research, Inderscience.
- EDITORIAL BOARD, International Journal of Business Process Integration and Management, Inderscience.
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, ACM Transactions on the Web, Association of Computing Machinery (til 2013).
- EDITORIAL BOARD, Production and Operations Management, POM Society (til 2012).
- ASSOCIATE EDITOR, Service Oriented Computing and Applications, Springer (til 2011).
- EDITORIAL BOARD, Electronic Commerce Research Journal, Springer (til 2008).
- EDITORIAL BOARD, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, INFORMS (til 2006)
- FELLOW of the Agora Market Design Center, UNSW, Australia.
- ADVISORY BOARD of the Business Intelligence and Smart Services Institute, Maastricht, NL.
- ADVISORY COUNCIL of the TUM Institute for Advanced Study.
- BOARD MEMBER of the Bavarian Elite Master program “Finance and Information Management”
- Head of finance and member of the strategy group of the Department of Informatics.
Martin Bichler is responsible for the Master program in Information Systems at TU München. He is also a board member of the ENB MSc Finance and Information Management. For a complete list of all offered courses, see the Teaching page. Martin received the TeachInf Award of the student union of the Department of Informatics five times for different courses.
- Operations Research (5 ECTS)
- Business Analytics (5 ECTS)
- Auction Theory and Market Design (5 ECTS)
Recent Journal Publications
- TRACK CHAIR, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Seoul, Korea, 2017.
- SENIOR PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBER, ACM Conference on Economics and Computation, Netherlands, 2016.
- STREAM CHAIR, International Conference on Operations Research, Aachen, Germany, 2014.
- TRACK CHAIR, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Milan, Italy, 2013.
- FACULTY MENTOR, Doctoral Consortium, International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS), Milan, Italy, 2013.
- PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR, International Conference on Electronic Commerce (ICEC), Singapore, 2012.
- CLUSTER CHAIR, for the Auction Cluster of the INFORMS Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC, USA, 2011.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, ICSE 2009 Workshop on Cloud Computing, Vancouver, BC, Canada, May 23, 2009.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, MKWI 2008, Munich, Germany, February 26-28, 2008.
- PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR, IEEE Conference on Service-Oriented Computing and Applications, Irvine, USA, June 19-20, 2007.
- TRACK CHAIR, eServices: Applications, Service Management and Technologies, Wirtschaftsinformatik 2007, Karlsruhe, Germany, February 2007.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, „Service-oriented E-Commerce”, Multikonferenz Wirtschaftsinformatik (MKWI 2006), Passau, Germany, 20.-22.03.2006.
- GENERAL CHAIR, IEEE Conference on E-Commerce (CEC 2005), Munich, Germany, July 2005.
- PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR, IEEE Conference on E-Commerce (CEC 2004), San Diego, USA, July 2004.
- PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR, DEXA E-Commerce and Web Technologies (ecWeb 2004), Zaragoza, Spain, Sept. 2004.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, „Coordination in Supply Networks" Track, Multikonferenz Wirtschaftsinformatik (MKWI 2004), Duisburg, Germany, 9.-11.03.2004.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, IEEE Conference on Electronic Commerce (CEC 2003), Newport Beach, CA, USA, June 26-28, 2003.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, Fourth International Symposium on Multimedia Software Engineering (MSE2004), Miami, FL, USA, Dec. 2004
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE/PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIR, 4th IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Issues of E-Commerce and Web-based Information Systems (WECWIS 02), Newport Beach, CA, USA, June 26-28, 2002.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, IBM Research Workshop on Dynamic Pricing in eBusiness, Yorktown Heights, NY, USA, July 16-17, 2001.
- ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, ECIS 2000, Vienna, Austria, July 3-5, 2000.
- Workshop CHAIR, CaiSE*00 Workshop on Infrastructures for Dynamic Business-to-Business Service Outsourcing (IDSO’00), June 6, 2000, Stockholm, Sweden.
- WORKSHOP CHAIR, International Workshop on Component-based Electronic Commerce, Berkeley, California, USA, July 25, 1998.