- In 2014 the Department of Informatics at the TUM has started using stable matching algorithms to assign students to seminars and compter labs. Our group developed the software to solve various matching problems. The spin-off alloca is based on this project.
Scheduling of TV Ads
- Development of a software framework to schedule TV ads in a revenue-maximizing way based on bids of media agencies.
Policy Advice and Game-Theoretical Consulting of Bidders in Spectrum Auctions (2010-15)
- Team members have consulted bidders in the spectrum auction in Germany (2010, 2015), in Austria (2010, 2013) and Canada (2014) (a combinatorial clock auction), and in the Czech Republic (2012). Decisions by the US Federal Communication Commission and the Canadian regulator (Industry Canada) draw on our work.
- MarketDesigner is a Web-based software framework implementing various types of combinatorial auctions. The software was sold by TUM to a spin-off of the group, developed into a software-as-a-service offering used by a number of DAX companies for industrial procurement, and sold in early 2014.
- A software framework with algorithms for dynamic resource allocation in data centers was transferred to a major Chinese data center operator in 2014. The deliverables have been transferred into a product used for customer projects and internally.
Optimization Software for Procurement Auction Markets
- A solver for the optimal selection of suppliers submitting volume discount bids. The software has been developed in cooperation with HP Labs in Palo Alto and is being used for procurement decisions. A spin-off of our group provided software and consulting services to large cooperations including Siemens, Henkel, Lufthansa, and B/S/H/, before the software was sold in 2014.
vPlan - Planning Server Consolidation in Virtualized Data Centers
- vPlan analyzes workload traces of virtual machines in a data center and determines an optimal allocation to physical servers, leveraging complementarities in the workload. The work is based on discrete optimization and statistical data preprocessing. The underlying method was patented together with Siemens (read more, see press clipping) and received the INFORMS ISS Design Science Award 2008. The method achieves 30% savings in servers reqired compared to existing approaches ignoring workload cycles.
Field Force Scheduling (-2010)
- A number of heuristics developed for the assignment of spacially distributed tasks to field force engineers of a large European telecom company.
PerMoTo - Performance Modelling of Distributed IT Infrastructures (-2010)
- The software tool suite PerMoTo supports decision makers in the fields of capacity planning, performance evaluation, workload characterization and system tuning of distributed IT infrastructures. The backend is based on algorithms to solve large queuing networks and a discrete event simulation engine. The software was developed in cooperation with Telefonica Germany.
Media Streaming Admission Control (-2008)
- The admission control admits requests to an overloaded media server based on shadow prices from a linear program, in order to maximize revenue. The method was patented together with Siemens.
Rule-based Service Level Management (-2007)
- The Prova rule engine, the ContractLog KR and the superimposed Rule Based Service Level Agreement markup language (RBSLA) provide an effective means for service level management and contract management based on logic knowledge representation concepts. Essential parts of RBSLA have been contributed to the W3C RIF standard.
Customer Network Analysis (-2007)
- A software framework implementing a variety of graph algorithms and measures from network theory. It allows generating types of networks with different distributions, importing real networks and provides various analysis capabilities (node clustering, centrality measures, etc.), as well as the analysis of different diffusion models. Some of the analysis methods are now being used by the marketing department of our industry partner.